EMPower (Extending Mathematical Power) is a mathematics curriculum for non-traditional students enrolled in adult basic education, pre-GED, GED, and transitional courses to college, as well students in alternative high schools, workplace settings, or corrections programs. EMPower
- Fosters mathematical reasoning included in the Common Core State Standards and the NCTM’s Principles and Standards for School Mathematics.
- Engages learners with student-centered activities relevant to everyday life.
- Works well alongside Contemporary mathematics products such as Number Power ® and Math Problem Solver.
- Prepares students for a deeper level of math proficiency necessary to successfully handle everyday problems as well as mathematics tests like the GED or college placement exams.
- Embeds teacher support and promotes a learning community in which students communicate ideas orally and in writing, and discover multiple strategies for solving problems.
The full curriculum is comprised of eight non-sequential units emphasizing whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents, proportions, geometry and measurement, algebra, and data and graphs. EMPower was developed and field tested with support from the National Science Foundation.