#18-11 - Marketing/Communications Manager
Technical Education Research Centers, Inc. (TERC), an innovative 501c3 not-for-profit organization focused on STEM education research and development and located in historic, college-rich Cambridge, MA, is seeking a Marketing/Communications Manager. The person in this role will report to the President and will manage two part-time communications staff.
Founded in 1965, TERC is committed to improving math and science education for all learners. TERC works at the frontiers of theory and practice to: contribute to a deeper understanding of learning and teaching; enhance instruction through teacher professional development; develop ways of applying new technologies to education; create curricula and other products; and support curricular and pedagogical reform, both in school and informal settings. TERC programs involve learners of all ages—early childhood, K-12, undergraduate, graduate, and adult education.
TERC imagines a future in which learners from diverse communities engage in creative, rigorous, and reflective inquiry as an integral part of their lives—a future where teachers and students alike are members of vibrant communities where questioning, problem solving, and experimentation are commonplace. This vision is grounded in the belief that science and math literacies are vital for strengthening and preserving a democratic society.
About the Position
You will be responsible for developing and implementing TERC’s internal and external marketing and communications strategies and plans, supporting the President’s communications needs and providing support to researchers in their grant writing, fund raising and professional activities.
With a high degree of self-motivation, independence, creativity and collaboration with others, you will direct or perform the following:
- Strategize with senior management and communications staff to set vision, direction, strategy, and goals for organization-wide digital and print collateral. Establish and implement the organization’s strategic and annual marketing and communications plan(s) to broaden awareness of TERC’s expertise and research, development and evaluation capabilities and expand partner and funder networks.
- Work with the Office of the President and senior management, plan and manage the strategic roll-out of new branding and positioning frameworks to refresh organization-wide digital and print content systems.
- Supervise and provide support and guidance to Communications team. Collaborate with TERC researchers. Identify and manage consultants/vendors needed to supplement staff expertise.
- Research, draft/propose, implement and evaluate organizational policies and metrics related to marketing and communications.
- Collaborate with TERC researchers to help translate their expertise/work into messaging that will be persuasive with multiple audiences and that supports their grant writing, fundraising, and professional activities.
- Manage the organization’s website and social media presence, working with research teams to develop and maintain content. Coordinate with research teams on consistent branding for program websites.
- Oversee, manage, implement and maintain communication activities for gathering and synthesizing information in order to describe and promote and present the work of the organization via multiple media platforms.
- Conceptualize, prepare content, and/or manage the production of all TERC digital and print media including the semi-annual magazine Hands On!.
- With the President, serve as the organizational spokesperson and lead point-of-contact for inquiries from the public and the media and conducts media outreach.
- Advise and assist the President on internal and external communications.
- Ensure that TERC and its work are represented at relevant public forums, conference, events, and meetings.
- Draft, prepare, propose, and manage annual marketing and communications budget.
Education, Experience, and Skill Requirements:
- B.S. in business, communications, marketing, or public affairs and 5 years of relevant work experience, ideally in a not-for-profit and/or educational setting.
- Possess outstanding writing skills, be an excellent communicator, problem solver and strategic thinker.
- Experience is required in writing and producing marketing content, conceptual design, and social media content as well as familiarity with newswire tools and networks.
- Intellectually curious, adept with technology, possess a “can do” attitude, be able to work independently, have strong staff and project management skills and be able to deliver results within a highly collaborative consensus-oriented organization.
- The ability to choose from among a range of established and innovative Marketing/Communication practices, analyzing marketing and communication trends while balancing pragmatic and strategic cost considerations.
- An understanding of the academic, educational and R&D world in which TERC operates is highly desirable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong leadership and coordination skills, particularly the ability to engage others by using democratic principles while serving as the key decision maker.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and/or supervision.
- Highly comfortable with common computer applications and office equipment and familiar with graphics software and web tools.
- Ability to travel periodically.
This is a 100% of full time position. The salary range is $78,000-$88,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package. Please submit the following via email to MarComm2018@terc.edu:
- A resume or curriculum vita;
- Statement of interest; and
- A writing sample that demonstrates marketing and communications expertise (two pages maximum).
Applications are due by 5:00 on Friday July 6th. No phone calls and no recruiter or agency inquiries please.
TERC is an equal opportunity employer, and is actively seeking to diversify its staff. We place a high priority on developing a staff that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.